Hope Jay – North District Buffalo Public School Board Member
Lawyer, Mother, Counselor, Advocate: 25 years of proven experience standing up for kids and families in Buffalo.
As a social worker at Baker Victory Services, A prosecutor at the Erie County District Attorney’s Office, a Family Court Advocate, and your North District Representative, Hope has fought and won many victories for Buffalo’s children, families and Stakeholders.
AS THE NORTH DISTRICT BOARD MEMBER, HOPE HAS:
1) Led the effort to remove Carl Paladino from the Board of Education
2) Strong supporter of LGBTQ students. Voted to pass the bathroom policy for transgender students
3) Board representative on the JDAI committee (Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative) liaison between family court and the BOE to reduce suspensions and student involvement in the juvenile justice system
4) Leader in developing the student voter registration initiative
5) Leader in developing district policy for safely handling of food allergies in schools
6) Strong supporter of CTE (Career Technical Education) and new innovative high schools
7) Fighting hard for residents of the North District on all pertinent issues from enhancing and protecting criterion schools to supporting development of community schools in our neighborhood like the newly minted North Park Academy
8) Initiated integration of gifted and talented programming across all schools throughout the district
9) Coordinated securing annual scholarship grant for our STEM scholars
10) Committed to ensuring equity of resources across the district
All of our children should be in school today and everyday
The district should be responsible for providing attendance support services for families to ensure their children attend school every day
Parents should be engaged and schools should be open to the community
Community Schools that engage families and encourage participation create stronger neighborhoods surrounding our schools. BPS should work with the State to provide services and access that allow schools to be the center of a strong neighborhood community.
Teachers and staff should be supported with training and services that help them keep students engaged and in school every day, learning
Reducing suspensions and creating an environment that engages children in the classroom everyday takes staff support and training. Providing that support so that staff can create a supportive environment where students and teachers thrive should be a priority in each Buffalo school.
Our kids deserve a tested fighter on their side!
Retain Hope for Buffalo Schools.